masterboard.jpg

작성일 : 03-05-15 02:15
哥哥 지인들의 추모글과 인터뷰 7 - 장만옥 편
 글쓴이 : 12956
조회 : 8,455  
《Cahiers du CinIJma(프랑스 영화잡지) no.579 - May 2003》

Our Dear Leslie

They have been the most beautiful couple of cinema in 80s and 90s. Maggie Cheungs respects to his partner since she was 19 years old.

I remember the first time I told myself: "Wow! Here the most beautiful and perfect face Ive seen in my life!". It was on Spring of 1984, I was 19 years old and I played my second film Behind the yellow line. Leading actors were Leslie Cheung, Anita Mui and me. 19 years again passed by, my memories of the film faded away, but there is an unforgettable thing: Behind the yellow line has been the starting point of a veritable career of a star for an actor who was at that time only average known. The lead song of the movie Monica was a hit and also signed a new era of the Cantopop. Afterward many other Leslies songs reached the top of charts. And, its right to tell, he contributed very much to make Hong Kong movies so world-wide renowned.

In spite of our many collaborations during years, Leslie and me, we never became intimate friends, since, in a way, we didnt share the same view of the world and we had very different personalities. This fact didnt prevent me from admiring his beauty and his sensibility which he put at disposal of his movies and his talent as a singer.

Particularly I noticed one thing during the night-shooting of a scene on Days Of Being Wild. Morning was coming and we were ready to shoot the last scene of the night. In that scene my character must go to take back his personal stuff at the apartment of the man who broke her heart, played by Leslie. The camera was on me, you could see Leslies back only, but at the end of the shooting he must go out of the screen to return to his room. Everybody was tired and we wish for one thing only: finishing to shoot in a fast way and going to bed. While the staff prepared camera and lights, I looked at Leslie slowly rehearsing in order to obtain the most appropriate "sound of footsteps" to reach the corridor. This movie was one of the first films shot without dubbing in Hong Kong. But at that time Leslie was already conscious of the importance of this kind of details, for the sake of the project and of the character. I was very impressed and I must admit I secretly stole from him this trick. Ive used it in movies Ive played afterward.

I admire all his courage. There is only a very little bunch of celebrities in Hong Kong ready to openly admit their homosexuality. This is a very hard thing in a society where rules of beauty are a 22 years old woman with spotlessly clean complexion, a skin with no signs of suntan, hands and feet admirably treated and nail-varnished.

Leslie suffered for many years from the pressure of paparazzi who followed him continuously to force him to his coming out. Taking on him a great risk for his career (since almost the most of his fans were teenagers), he stood up with pride and no shame to talk about his sexual preferences. I remember I thought: "Happy for you, Leslie!"

From a personal point of view I would like to remember my last meetings with him. The first time was at the wedding party of one of my close friend, Anna, just one year ago, on April 2002. It was a huge party and it was rare for Leslie attending such a crowded event. I was both surprised and enchanted to meet him there. We looked for a way to avoid the crowd for some minutes and we went to chat near the bar. I was a bit worried because my assistant Teresa (who worked for him too at that time) told me before he wasnt in a good shape. We chatted about his life, his health, about his depression which became more and more oppressive. At the end of our conversation he said: "I wanted so much to work with you again on another project, but Im not handsome enough to play your lover any more". I was shocked to hear this from him, I never could imagine a man like Leslie was losing his self-confidence. I tried to find right words to tell him he was always wonderful, but somebody came to take a picture with me. After I was hurried to join him at the bar, but Teresa told me he already left the party.

I met him for the very last time at the end of 2002, attending a dinner organised by Jackie Chan for some close friends. I went to the toilet and Leslie accompanied me. We had finally a long chat... Funny place for a funny conversation, but Leslie was made in this way. The day after, at the end of the morning, he asked Teresa to tell me to call him back. We continued our conversation - a conversation which he wished to keep it secret. He told me, at the end, that I deserved a wonderful life and I must take good care of myself. We say good-bye and we put down the telephone.

Well, thats OK, my dearest Leslie, I will do my best... I promise.

- by Maggie Cheung

* From Leslies Pillow(Thank you, Nadia!)

《번역(한글 번역본은 중국어텍스트를 참고했습니다.)》

사랑하는 Leslie에게

(장국영과 장만옥은 80년대와 90년대 스크린에서 가장 아름다웠던 한 쌍이었다. 다음 글은 장만옥이 19살때부터 알게된 그녀의 파트너에 대한 추억의 글이다.)

내가 그를 처음 만났을 때, 난 나 자신에게 "이 사람은 내 생에서 가장 잘 생기고 가장 완벽한 얼굴을 가진 사람이야."라고 이야기했었다. 그때가 1984년 봄이었는데, 당시 난 겨우 19살이었고, 나의 두번째 영화 《연분》을 촬영하고 있었다. 주연은 Leslie와 阿梅(매염방), 그리고 나였다. 19년 후인 지금 이 영화에 대한 기억은 이미 다 지워졌지만, 그나마 가장 기억에 남는건, 이 영화가 당시에 지명도가 그리 높지 않았던 남자배우를 정말로 스타의 길로 접어들게한 시발점이었고, 이 영화의 주제곡으로 쓰였던 Monica도 아주 큰 인기를 받았고, 광동유행가의 신기원을 이뤘다는 것이다. 그후에 Leslie의 많은 노래들이 각종순위에 올랐다. 또, 사실대로 이야기하자면, 그는 홍콩영화가 국제적으로 인정을 받을 수 있도록, 많은 힘을 쏟아부었다.

비록 우리들은 좋은 사업파트너였지만, 우리들의 성격과 인생관이 너무 달랐기 때문에, 결코 아주 친한 친구사이는 아니었다. 하지만, 이건 내가 그의 아름다움과 그가 영화에서 뿜어내는 예민한 감수성과 가수로서의 재능을 감상하는데 전혀 방해가 되지 않았다.

《아비정전》중에 밤촬영씬이 있었는데, 그날 난 한가지 일에 특히 신경쓰고 있었던 것으로 기억한다. 우리가 그날 밤 마지막 촬영씬을 준비하고 있을 때였는데, 그 때는 이미 새벽에 가까운 시간이었고, 그 씬은 내가 연기하는 배역이 그녀의 마음에 상처를 준 남자의 집으로 가서 개인물품들을 들고 나오는 것이었다. 그 씬에서 카메라는 나를 향해 있어서, 여러분들은 그의 등만을 봤을 것이다. 마지막은 그가 카메라밖으로 나와 방으로 돌아가는 장면이었다. 당시에 모두들 너무 피곤해서, 빨리 찍고 집에 가서 자고 싶은 마음뿐이었다. 스탭들이 조명과 카메라 위치 등을 준비하느라 바쁠 때에, 난 Leslie가 혼자서 자신의 촬영장면을 연습하고 있는 것을 보았다. 그는 그곳에서 복도까지 가는 동안에 가장 적당한 발걸음소리를 내기 위해 연습하고 했다. 《아비정전》은 홍콩영화 중에서 동시녹음을 시도한 초기작품 중의 하나인데, Leslie는 그 때 이미 이러한 사소한 부분이 전체영화와 그 배역에 미치는 중요성에 대해 유념하고 있었다. 이 일은 나에게 아주 깊은 인상을 남겨주었는데, 난 그 이후에 영화촬영할 때, 나도 그처럼 이 방법을 따라서 했다는 것을 인정한다.

난 정말 그의 용기에 감탄한다. 홍콩의 유명인들은 자신의 성취향을 털어놓기를 원하지 않는다. 여전히 햇볕에 그을리지 않은 깨끗한 피부를 가지고, 손과 발은 그 손톱과 발톱까지도 정갈하게 다듬은 22살의 여인이 미인이라고 요구하는 이 사회에서 그렇게 하는건 결코 쉬운 일이 아니었다.

수년간 파파라치들은 끊임없이 그를 쫓아다니면서 그가 커밍아웃을 하게끔 압박했고, 그는 사업상의 가장 큰 위험(그의 팬들은 어린사람들이다)을 무릅쓰고, 조금의 수치심 없이 자긍심을 가지고 그의 성취향을 이야기했을 때, 당시에 난 "Leslie, 당신을 위해 기뻐할게요!"라고 스스로에게 말했던걸로 기억한다.

개인적으로 난 그와 마지막으로 만났던 두번의 만남을 이야기하고 싶다. 첫번째 만남은 작년에 上山安娜의 결혼식에서였다. 그건 아주 큰 파티였는데, Leslie는 이런 사람들이 많이 모이는 자리에는 잘 참석하지 않아서, 그 곳에서 그를 만난건 아주 의외라고 생각했다. 사람들을 피해 우리는 근처의 바에 가서 이야기를 나눴는데, 조수 Teresa(그녀는 Leslie의 조수이기도 하다.)로부터 Leslie의 컨디션이 좋지 않다는 이야기를 듣고, 난 그를 걱정하고 있었다. 우리들은 그의 인생, 건강, 그의 우울증이 날로 심각해진다는 등의 이야기를 나눴는데, 마지막에 그는 "난 정말로 너와 다시 영화에 출연하고 싶어. 하지만, 난 이미 너의 연인으로 출연하기에는 더이상 외모가 따라주질 않아."라고 얘기했다. 당시에 난 아주 놀랐는데, 난 그렇게 자신감으로 가득찬 그가 이런 말을 할 줄은 생각지도 못했었다. 난 그를 위로할 말을 하고 싶었고, 그에게 "너는 여태까지 잘 해왔어."라고 말하고 싶었지만, 그때 어떤 사람이 사진을 찍자고 해서 그 자리를 떠났다가, 바로 돌아와보니, Teresa가 그가 이미 떠났다고 알려주었다.

그와 마지막으로 본 건 작년말이었다. 우리들은 친한 친구들과 같이 진자강이 연 파티에 함께 갔었다. 화장실에 갈려고 하자, 그가 나를 에스코트해주겠다고 해, 우리들은 이야기를 나눌 수 있게 되었다.... 재미있는 장소에서의 재미있는 이야기들은 모두 Leslie의 생각이었다. 다음날 점심때, 그는 Terasa를 통해 나에게 전화를 해달라고 전해 와, 우리들은 계속해서 이야기들을 나눴었다. 무슨 이야기를 했는지는 여기에서 밝힐 수는 없다. 마지막에 그는 나에게 이 아름다운 인생은 내가 당연히 누려야할 것이며, 그걸 잘 지켜나가라고 당부했고, 우리는 작별인사를 나누고 전화를 끊었다.

사랑하는 Leslie, 난 당신이 나에게 한 말대로 앞으로 잘 살아갈게요!

장만옥